Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem
43. Al Qawiyy……………………………….3
44. Al Mateen……………………………….7
45. Al Qaahir ………………………………11
46. Al Qahhaar…………………………….11
47. Al Qadir…………………………………16
48. Al Qadeer………………………………17
49. Al Muqtadir…………………………….19
43) Al Qawiyy
This Name of Allah is mentioned in the Qur’an 9 times and the majority of the time it comes with the Name Al Azeez. For example Allah says:
We have already sent Our messengers with clear evidences and sent down with them the Scripture and the balance that the people may maintain [their affairs] in justice. And We sent down iron, wherein is great military might and benefits for the people, and so that Allah may make evident those who support Him and His messengers unseen. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might. [al Hadeed 57:25]
Lingustic meaning: Strength – opposite of weak. Someone described with the ability to be able to do things. To prevail.
Shar’ee meaning: Al Qawiyy is the Ultimate in Strength; His Attribute of strength never decreases and never has to be followed by a period of rest. The perfect strength of Al Qawiyy is irresistible, and nothing and no one in the heavens and the earth can help but submit to it. Allah can never ever be defeated. He will always be supreme, mighty and powerful. He possesses all forms of Quwwa and His Quwwa never ends. The difference between Qudra (ability) and Quwwa (strength) is that a person that has strength to do something may not have the ability to carry it out but Allah has both Quwwa and Qudra.
Benefits we can learn from this Name
- 1. Remember that Allah is severe in punishment. Every form of punishment has power, strength. We should not think that Allah cannot carry out a punishment.
- 2. Quwwa of Allah is so great, comes in all forms. Allah shakes the earth from His Quwwa, the earth becomes a Jund (soldier) of Allah. The wind, the rain etc. All creation of Allah is Quwwa of Allah. Destruction of past nations showed His Quwwa. Al Qawee, Al Azeez, Al Shadeedul Iqab, He has the ability to do whatever He wants. Allah says:
As for ‘Aad, they were arrogant upon the earth without right and said, “Who is greater than us in strength?” Did they not consider that Allah who created them was greater than them in strength? But they were rejecting Our signs. [Fussilat 41:15]
- 3. Be a strong believer. Just as Allah is The All Knowing and loves to see you knowledgeable, and just as and He is The Just and loves to see you being just, Allah ‘azza wajal loves to see the quality of quwwa in you as a believer. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wasallam said:
A strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than a weak believer, though both are good. Hasten to what benefits you, seeking Allah’s help, and do not feel defeated. If some misfortune befalls you, do not say: “If only I had done such-and-such…” but say: “It is what Allah decreed, and He does as He wills.” The words “If only…” open the doors for Satan’s machinations. [Muslim]
Have quwwa in your faith, in your determination to enjoin good and forbid evil, in your war against shaytan, in your character and in your will to seek knowledge.
- Strive for justice and rest assured against the unjust. Al Qawiyy detests strength based on tyranny and injustice. The Prophet salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:
No nation is blessed unless its weakest members can demand their rights without hesitation. [Sunan Ibn Maajah].
Rest assured in the promise of Al-Qawiyy to those who support His cause:
[They are] those who have been evicted from their homes without right – only because they say, “Our Lord is Allah.” And were it not that Allah checks the people, some by means of others, there would have been demolished monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques in which the Name of Allah is much mentioned. And Allah will surely support those who support Him. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and Exalted in Might. [al Hajj, 22:40]
- Fear Al Qawiyy. Al Qawiyy gave one angel the strength to overturn a whole city or uproot a mountain, and this angel and all others, despite their enormous strength, tremble out of awe and fear of His greatness. So what about us— which powers do we have? Fear Al Qawiyy and recall His strength to motivate yourself when you’re about to do something wrong.
- Reflect on the creation of Al Qawiyy. Look at the strength of the heat of the sun: in hours it can melt huge ice surfaces which could not be demolished by mankind’s strongest machines. Reflect on the power of the wind, which can lift up whole villages and blow them in the air like a feather. Contemplate the might of the oceans, swallowing complete countries. Reflecting on creation will help you understand the greatness and mind-blowing strength of the Creator. Contemplate the signs of Al Qawiyy and act upon them by obeying His commands and staying away from His prohibitions.
- Take comfort in Al Qawiyy. Despite His enormous might and strength, Allah ‘azza wajal is extremely gentle and subtle with His servants.
Allah is Subtle with His servants; He gives provisions to whom He wills. And He is the Powerful, the Exalted in Might. [ash Shuraa 42:19].
Take comfort in Him, your protector, your perfect beloved, in times when you feel weak and overcome by worries and difficulties.
Al Qawiyy and other Names
Al Jabbaar, Al Qahhaar, Al ‘Azeez, and Al Qawiyy are all Names of power, strength, and dominance. Allah’s Name Al Qawiyy is most often paired with His beautiful Name Al ‘Azeez, The All-Mighty. Strength is not suited except to those who are honourable; Al Qawiyy uses His Strength in the most honourable ways to show His perfect might. This combination is used in the context of Allah ‘azza wajal using His strength to support the believers against the tyrants and unjust, while using His might to punish them.
Please download the pdf document for the rest of the names to this part. Share the link and doc with others in shaa Allah.