Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem
30. Al Adheem……………………………….3
31. Al Aliyy…………………………………….7
32. Al A’laa…………………………………….9
33. Al Muta’aal………………………………11
34. Al Hakeem………………………………15
35. Al Waasi’…………………………………20
30) Al Adheem
This Name of Allah Appears in the Qur’an 9 times. For example Allah says:
So exalt the Name of your Lord, the Most great. [al Waqiah 56:96]
Rasoolullah sallalahu alayhi wassalam said; when you go into rukoo’ glorify Allah by saying subhana Rabbiyal ‘adheem.
When the following was revealed: ‘So glorify the Name of your Lord, the Most Great’, [al Haqqah 69:52] the Messenger of Allah sallalahu alayhi wassalam said to us: ‘Say this in your Ruku.’ And when the following was revealed: ‘Glorify the Name of your Lord, the Most High.’ [al alaa 87:1] the Messenger of Allah sallalhu alayhi wassalam said to us: ‘Say this in your prostrations.’” [Sahih Ibn Majah]
Lingustic meaning: something that is great, greater than everything. Something that is glorified and exalted, majestic, magnificent. Something that is mighty and deserves worship.
Shar’ee meaning: Allah – One that has utmost greatness and grandeur; greater and mightier than everyone. Everything that He possesses is greater and mightier than what we possess. Magnificent in His mercy, His mercy is greater than any of our mercy. Allah is also ‘Adheem in His adhaab. The Rahma that He has is greatest form of mercy. But also shadeedul ‘iqaab – severe in punishment. He is ‘Adheem and glorified in every single characteristic and Name. He is characterised by greatness and no one can share in the might and greatness of Allah.
Ibn Qayyim says: There is a time when everyone achieves some sort of might and power for example a king who has power in his country but he doesn’t have this power in any other country and he won’t have the power when he passes away. But Allah being mighty and majestic, He will always be the one who is mighty, the majestic – before time, in time and after time. He will always own the world and the heavens and will always possess us. Him being ‘Adheem can never decrease.
Your prayer with Al ‘Adheem
‘Adhm means bone; it refers to strength. Al ‘Adheem is the greatest and the strongest and He chose us to contemplate His greatness and strength each time we bow down and say ‘Subhaana Rabbiyal ‘Adheem’ in our prayer. In His ultimate wisdom He chose this Name of all His Names to be repeated in each prayer. We say it while we are bowing down, submitting to His greatness and strength. When we bow in rukoo’ we should focus all ofour body and mind on how inferior we are in comparison with Al ‘Adheem. Bowing is admitting, testifying to the grandeur and the might of Allah ‘azza wa jall.
Benefits that we can learn from this Name
- We gain khushoo’ and khudo – we submit and have awe. Ibn Qayyim says: The reason as to why we say subhana rabbiyal adheem in ruku’ is because the quraysh used to mock this act of ibaadah. They never used to do it. Allah prescribed that the Name ‘Adheem is to be said here to remind us that we are glorifying the one who is mighty and majestic and He is the one who commanded us to bow in this position. Reminds us of ‘izza of the religion.
- We know that the commandments are from Al ‘Adheem, who is great and glorified. So even if we find it hard and tiring, we confirm that if it is from Al ‘Adheem, then we know this action has some kind of benefit. We know that the prohibitions are from Al ‘Adheem and we affirm that if Allah is the creator of the heavens and earth, He knows how a person can fall into sin.
- Fill up your scales of deeds by remembering Al ‘Adheem Abu Hurairah, may Allah be pleased with him, reported: The Messenger of Allah salallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam said:
There are two statements that are light for the tongue to remember, heavy in the Scales and are dear to the Merciful: Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi, Subhan-Allahil-‘Adheem [Glory be to Allah and His is the praise, (and) Allah, the Greatest is free from imperfection).’
[al Bukhari and Muslim]
Make it a habit to say this any spare moment, while working, cooking, waiting, travelling, etc.
- Ask Al ‘Adheem for help in all situations. He is the owner of all strength; each hardship, challenge, or problem you face is insignificant compared to what He was able to create. Al ‘Adheem created the beautiful sky and the strong and huge mountains— don’t you think He will be able to solve all your problems? So ask Al ‘Adheem to help you in all situations and call on Him whenever you feel you need strength to carry on in life.
- Fear no one but Al ‘Adheem.
O you who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and do not die except in the state of Islam. [ale Imran 3:102]
Even the strongest man in this world is absolutely nothing compared to the greatness and strength of Al ‘Adheem, so fear no one and nothing except Him. We should have hope in Allah’s mercy and fear Allah’s punishment. Fear hell but hope in Jannah.
- Increase your dhikr when you bow. To feel your rukoo’ increase your adhkaar (rememberance) in it. A dhikr from the sunnah including this Name is:
????????? ??? ????????????? ??????????????? ???????????????? ?????????????
How perfect He is, The Possessor of total power, sovereignty, magnificence and grandeur [Abu Dawood, An-Nasaa’i, Ahmad].
Al ‘Adheem and other Names
- Allah mentioned Al ‘Adheem with Al ‘Aliyy. For example in. Ayatul Kursi, the greatest ayah of the Qur’an. The reason why Allah coupled these 2 Names together is because for Allah to be Mighty and Great, He can’t share the same space as His creation. Everything He created has some sort of deficiency so He is separate from His creation, above His throne. He is not from the creation and has no deficiency.
- Allah mentions Al ‘Adheem with Al Haleem – meaning forbearing, tolerant, lenient. Al ‘Adheem is a Name that strikes fear but coupling it with the name Al Haleem is a reminder that Allah is also a Lord that is tolerant, Allah won’t hold us accountable for something we don’t know. “Forgive us for our mistakes in the times we forgot” This du’a is found in Surah Al Baqarah, Rasoolullah sallalahu alayhi wassalam said:
Allah has forgiven my ummah for the mistakes they have done in forgetfulness.
Please download the pdf doc for the rest of the names to this part and please share far and wide with others in shaa Allah.